Thursday, August 31, 2006

'it's killing my throat'

As I mentioned in another entry, I once worked as Runner, Production Assistant, and Stagehand for a small production company, contracted by an outdoor concert amphitheatre. I had many interesting experiences, and one in particular was very memorable. I was working the Neil Young show one season. Although I missed Neil Young’s entire show, because I was working, I did get to meet Jewel, who was opening up for Neil. She was staying at one of our finer hotels, and she and her mom and one of her other managers needed a ride from the hotel to the amphitheatre. That was my job, so I was asked to pick them up. I went with the other manager into the hotel and up to Jewel’s room, and I waited inside for a few minutes while the manager talked with her about something. Then, I went back downstairs with the manager and was told to wait, with the doors to my van open, so that the three of them could get right in without much chance for interruption. I had the AC cranked, because it was damn hot. Soon, a beautiful woman appeared in the entranceway to the hotel, walking toward the van. She looked older than what I thought Jewel was, but I didn’t know for sure. I just helped her into the van. Then, an even more beautiful and more youthful woman appeared in a bright-colored sweater, walking towards my van. That was Jewel. I helped her in, trying hard not to stare, blush, or act weird. The manager introduced us, telling them that I was going to be taking them to the venue. During the drive to the venue, Jewel was busy blasting some of the musicians she had been working with either on a record or on the tour. She seemed very angry about the situation. Then, she spoke her first words to me, after she initially said, “hello”. She said, “Can you PLEASE turn down that AC?! It’s KILLing my throat.” Wow, did I turn red, quickly flipped some buttons, and tried to concentrate on getting to the venue as quickly as possible. Although, Jewel, and what turned out to be Jewel’s mom, and her manager, thanked me for the ride, I was wondering if they were just having a bad day, or if it was just like that.

No comments:

oldbooks

oldbooks
Books