Monday, September 18, 2006

A story about "The Dragons of Eden: Speculations on the Evolution of Human Intelligence"

by Carl Sagan

My mother gave me this book to read before I started college, probably around 1990 or 1991. I read most of it while I was travelling by airplane somewhere. I remember the feeling that I wasn’t fully understanding the language Sagan was using, and many of his references and allusions to other works were not always clearly explained. Sometimes he expected a little too much from the reader, in my opinion. I say this, because I am reading the book for a second time right now, and I understand most of the language, and I follow most of the logic in his arguments; however, Sagan makes many assertions based on references to works in which he assumes the reader’s familiarity. This book is excellent for inspirational purposes and for a ground-setting experience when I try to lucidly recall why I think a certain way about the way the universe works. – docrivs

No comments:

oldbooks

oldbooks
Books