Thursday, October 12, 2006

Effervescence

Apparently, the "goth rock" (?) band, Evanescence has hit number 1 on the album charts, with The Open Door, selling almost 450,000 copies of it during its first week of release.

Now that is a hell of a release!

Whether or not you want to describe this band, whose name I had much trouble remembering when I first wanted to say it a couple of years ago, as "goth rock", "pop metal", or "pop rock" is up to you. I dig Amy Lee's voice, though. The music seems to fit her voice rather well too. When I first heard the big single that put them in our radios, I recalled how I used to wonder what a band would sound like if they played Tool songs and had a female singer, like Tori or Bjork.

Before I was able to commit the name of the band to memory I could only recall the word, "effervescence" (can you read in French?).

Well, then I heard Rik Johnson & Emily (now) Johnson performing Tool songs, with Emily singing. They sounded baaaaaad. I mean baaaaad as in very good. Emily, unfortunately, does not sing in public much more than I do, these days, but you can check out Rik's band, Medicine Gone. I've also mentioned them in this blog, sort of.

Anyway, what I was trying to say, before I got sidetracked, was that when I heard Emily and Rik doing a Tool song, "Swamp Song", maybe, they rocked, and they sounded like what I imagined Tool would sound like, with a female singer.

Evanescence is not Tool, but I think that their sound captures a similar vibe, albeit without all the male aggression, testosterone, animosity, and machismo that comes with most male "heavy metal" singers. I'm sure that Maynard would not be happy being called a heavy metal singer, and he can do more than sing heavy metal, but Tool is a heavy band. They play loud. The mood of their music can be very angry and primal. They can be both aggressive and submissive.

Am I comparing Evanescence to Amy & Rik and Amy & Rik to Tool, and then, comparing Tool to a woman? :O

Well, actually... ... Why not? This is MY DAMN BLOG, thank you.

Anyway, is this about Evanescence, Amy & Rik, or about Tool? Or is this about comparing a band to a woman? I'm not sure, but that's all I have to say about that.

- docrivs (blog website email)

No comments:

oldbooks

oldbooks
Books